ON AIR NOW

LISTEN NOW

Weather

not-available-day Created with Sketch.
°
Partly Cloudy
H 91° L 73°
  • not-available-day Created with Sketch.
    °
    Current Conditions
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 73°
  • cloudy-day Created with Sketch.
    87°
    Afternoon
    Partly Cloudy. H 91° L 73°
  • clear-day Created with Sketch.
    86°
    Evening
    Mostly Sunny. H 91° L 73°
LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Morning show on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

Home team on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

LISTEN
PAUSE
ERROR

The crossover on-demand

00:00 | 00:00

National
Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal
Close

Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal

Photo Credit: Daily News Staff Writer
File photo of Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office directing traffic on Southern Boulevard near Mar-a-Lago. (Meghan McCarthy / Daily News)

Police say boy who crashed car near Trump's Mar-a-Lago was suicidal

A teenager who ran into a fence four blocks from Mar-a-Lago just before President Donald Trump arrived Friday evening was attempting suicide and previously called in terrorist threats to CNN, according to Palm Beach, Florida, police.

>> Read more trending stories

The boy, whose name was redacted from a police report because of his age, was reported as a missing suicidal teen, armed and dangerous with a baseball bat and a metal pipe. According to the report, officers found the bat and pipe in the white Dodge Charger belonging to his mother after the teen crashed it into a construction fence shortly before 6:50 p.m. in Palm Beach.

Trump's motorcade arrived at Mar-a-Lago about 7:10 p.m. The report didn't mention Trump's arrival, or whether the Secret Service considered the teen to be a credible threat to the president.

The boy was apprehended by a Palm Beach County Sheriff's deputy after he backed into a fence on Via Palma, which is within the Secret Service-mandated restricted zone around Mar-a-Lago, the report said. He told officers he ran into the fence while turning around to try to drive into the Intracoastal Waterway and kill himself, according to the report.

>> Related: Trump invites supporters to Mar-a-Lago to say ‘thank you’

The report said the teen drove past two security checkpoints "at a high rate of speed" in the 800 block of South County Road, just north of its intersection with South Ocean Boulevard. That area is restricted to ID-carrying residents only.

The boy was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after, the report said, he and a few friends pretended to be refugees in January and prank-called CNN. Federal agents contacted the boy's mother to set up an interview, according to the report, and they later met with an agent. It wasn't clear when he was interviewed. The teen told police that the agent told him being "interviewed by the FBI in reference to terrorism" would be on his "permanent record."

>> Related: Mar-a-Lago dinner: House Oversight chair probes security

"(The boy) stated that he thought his 'life was over' and would never get accepted to a college or acquire a decent job," the report said. "(He) stated he then went home and attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself with a firearm."

When he couldn't find bullets, the report said, the boy took his mother's Charger, which he drove in excess of 110 mph on Northlake Boulevard and on Interstate 95 "in hopes to crash into another vehicle to kill himself."

Police said witnesses called 911 when they saw the Charger traveling at about 80 mph down South County Road in Palm Beach.

The report said he hit a traffic sign and ran at least two red lights in Midtown while heading south toward the restricted zone.

The investigation was turned over to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office, according to the report. The sheriff's office on Saturday said the boy was given a traffic citation and was ordered to undergo a mental health evaluation at the JFK North/West Palm Behavioral Health center in West Palm Beach.

Read More
VIEW COMMENTS

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

Latest Bulldog News

  • New England Patriots wide receiver Malcolm Mitchell can be sweet when he wants to be. Mitchell has a three-book deal with Scholastic, the children's publisher told The Associated Press on Thursday. The books include a newly illustrated edition of his self-published 'The Magician's Hat,' to come out next May, and two more original works. Mitchell is a literacy advocate who founded the 'Read With Malcolm' program. With New England, Mitchell caught 32 passes last year during the regular season and another six in the Super Bowl, when the Patriots came from behind and defeated the Atlanta Falcons 34-28.
  • After his shot at the NFL ended, former University of Georgia linebacker Amarlo Herrera is working on his next dream— the WWE. An alum of North Clayton High School in Atlanta, Herrera was one of 40 athletes who participated in a WWE tryout last week at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Fla., according to the WWE. Herrera, who was named second-team All-SEC during his senior season, was drafted by Indianapolis Colts the sixth round of the 2015 NFL Draft, but was released on Aug. 10, 2016 after playing in three games as a rookie. Herrera also has stints with the Tennessee Titans and the Washington Redskins. In his four seasons as a Bulldog, Herrera started 43 games and recorded 334 tackles, 3.5 sacks and three interceptions.
  • Sanford Stadium Utility Work Update - Tate Drive Closing From 6/19 through 6/30, construction crews working on the utilities at the Tate drive will be performing their work at night starting at 7PM and working to 6AM. During this time, the drive to the Tate Parking Deck from Lumpkin will be closed. The entrance to the parking deck will be shifted to the ramp just south of the intersection at Baxter and Lumpkin and traffic will be directed by UGA PD. There will also be a full closure of the drive from 7pm on 6/23 through 10pm on 6/24 as the utilities are installed across the width of the drive. During the day, the drive will be re-opened.
  • From UGA Sports Communications ATHENS, Ga. — Six home games – three each in November and December – and four road challenges anchor the Georgia Bulldogs’ 2017-18 non-conference schedule, which was announced by head coach Mark Fox on Thursday. “The goal every year is to create a non-conference schedule that 1) prepares you for SEC play and 2) gives you the strength of schedule at the end of the year to have a chance to go to postseason play,” Fox said. “I think again we’ve put one together that again should allow us to do both of those things The Bulldogs will open their campaign in the dramatically renovated Stegeman Coliseum on Friday, Nov. 10, by hosting Bryant. This summer, Stegeman is undergoing the final phase of more than $20-million in upgrades over the past several years. The arena’s inner bowl is the focus of the final portion of the project and will feature acenter-hung scoreboard, new seats, significantly upgraded sound and lighting systems and additional LED signage. “The final stage of the Stegeman renovations is finally here, which will be the most drastic stage of the project,” Fox said “Obviously, the installation of the glass and work on the concourse was significant, and the building looks different from the outside. I think the interior will look just as significantly different as the outside. I also think you’re going to see the game experience change greatly because of the center-hung scoreboard and video boards and all the other things that can be done with that will be a big upgrade for our game atmosphere and our fans.” The matchup with Bryant is the first of three home games to open the season. Georgia also will host USC-Upstate on Tuesday, Nov. 14 and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Sunday, Nov. 19. The Bulldogs will then play three games as part of the Wooden Legacy in California over the Thanksgiving break. Georgia is among the eight-team field which also includes Cal State Fullerton, DePaul, Harvard, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Mary’s, San Diego State and Washington State. Games will be played on Thursday, Nov. 23; Friday, Nov. 24; and Sunday, Nov. 26. Georgia will then face Marquette in Milwaukee on Saturday, Dec. 2 before returning to Stegeman to host Winthrop on Tuesday, Dec. 5. The Bulldogs will venture to UMass on Saturday, Dec. 16, before wrapping up their pre-SEC slate with dates against Georgia Tech on Tuesday, Dec., 19 and Temple on Friday, Dec. 22. Georgia’s remaining non-conference outing will be at Kansas State on Saturday, Jan. 27 as part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Last week, the SEC announced the league’s home and away matchups for this upcoming season. Georgia will face Auburn, Florida, LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee on a home-and-home basis. The Bulldogs also will host Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss and Texas A&M, while traveling to Kentucky, Mississippi State, Missouri and Vanderbilt. The Bulldogs will return 10 letterwinners, including five with double-digit starts, from a year ago. Consensus All-SEC forward Yante Maten headlines that list. Maten is the SEC’s leading returning scorer after averaging 18.2 ppg a year ago. Junior Derek Ogbeide is the second-leading returning rebounder in the league. He averaged 7.6 rpg last season. In addition, Georgia will welcome four freshmen to the Bulldogs’ roster. “We have a significant number of returning players – nine of our top-10 are back and we’re adding probably one of the better recruiting classes that we’ve had,” Fox said. “But obviously, experience, there’s no substitute for. Everyone is going to be a little bit different role this year because we lost a great leader (J.J. Frazier). We have a lot of guys who we understand what their abilities are and what they’re capable of and I think our chemistry remains very strong. The new guys have the advantage of learning from that experience. We’re working like a team that is very hungry and driven. Right now, we’re excited about their approach.” Stegeman Coliseum Renovation Information Stegeman Coliseum is undergoing major renovations this summer. Work began recently on Phase II of the approximately $8-million project to the Coliseum’s interior. Prior to last season, Phase I included the addition of an HD scoreboard and a dramatic mural covering the distinctive end wall of the arena’s east end. This summer, renovations include a center-hung scoreboard, new seats, significantly upgraded sound and lighting systems and additional LED signage. The current projects follow a $13-million renovation in 2010 that transformed Stegeman’s concourses, upgrading the graphics, enhancing spectator access to concessions and restrooms and adding 5,000-square feet of concourse space on each side of the arena. Those efforts won awards from both the American Institute of Architects and the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America. Basketball Enhancement Fund Information Donations to the UGA Athletic Association's Basketball Enhancement Fund (BEF) will be accepted beginning this Thursday (June 1) through August 1. Current BEF contributors should expect renewal notices to arrive via email on June 5. BEF contributions are utilized for determining renewable season tickets and various other benefits available to Georgia Basketball supporters. The BEF has established records for both amount contributed and number of contributors in each of the past two years. The Georgia Bulldog Club is hoping for another record-setting effort and is challenging donors to contribute 110 percent of their previous donation. The minimum donation to purchase renewable season tickets is $150 per seat. A gift of $150 also will be recognized with a car decal and an invitation to a designated preseason practice of the Bulldogs. Varying levels of BEF donations are used to determine ability to purchase premium courtside seating, as well as tickets to the SEC and NCAA Tournaments. Additional potential benefits associated with contribution levels include reserved parking at Stegeman Coliseum, invitations to the team's preseason and postseason banquets and pre- and in-game hospitality.
  •  From UGA Sports Communications ATHENS------Georgia senior pitcher Andrew Gist was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays in the ninth round of the 2017 Major League Baseball Draft Tuesday.   Gist, a 5-10, 196-pound native of Cumming, Ga., served as Georgia’s SEC Friday night starter this past season, posting a 3-4 record and a team-best 3.80 ERA. He appeared in 17 games with 11 starts for a total of 73.1 innings as the team went 25-32 and advanced to the SEC Tournament. He clinched Georgia’ spot in the postseason when he provided a career-high eight innings in a 6-3 road win over No. 30 South Carolina. Also, he struck out a career-high 10 in six innings as part of a combined 3-0 shutout of Missouri this past April.   Gist enjoyed a two-year career with the Bulldogs after spending his first two seasons at Walters State in Tennessee. As a Bulldog, Gist went 6-6 with one save and a 4.35 ERA in 32 appearances including 17 starts. He tallied 116 strikeouts and 33 walks in 122 innings.   Georgia has a string of 44 straight seasons with at least one player signing a professional contract. In 2016, six Bulldogs were drafted and began their professional career.   The MLB draft began Monday with the first two rounds while Tuesday’s slate featured rounds three-10. On Tuesday, the Atlanta Braves in the second round selected Bulldog signee Drew Waters, an ALL-USA First Team outfielder out of Etowah High School. The draft concludes Wednesday with rounds 11-40. The MLB signing deadline for underclassmen and high school seniors selected in this year’s draft is July 15.   Bulldogs In The 2017 MLB Draft *Drew Waters, OF, 2nd Round (41st overall), Atlanta Braves Andrew Gist, LHP, 9th Round (259th overall), Tampa Bay Rays *2017 Georgia signee