Another batch of Heisman Trophy and national title odds have dropped, this time courtesy of SuperBookUSA.
As has been the case for most of the offseason, Georgia has been near the top of the national title odds, while Jamie Newman has become a fixture among the Heisman Trophy candidates.
The national title odds for the Bulldogs haven't moved, with Georgia still sitting at 8-to-1 odds. That's good for fourth-best in the country behind co-favorites Clemson and Ohio State. Sitting in third is Alabama with 5-to-1 odds. Georgia and Alabama are set to face each other on Sept. 19.
But Newman's odds did move a bit, dropping from 14-to-1 in January, to 16-to-1 at the moment.
There are a number of reasons why Newman would see the slightest dip in his chances of winning the award. For one, Newman didn't get a chance to work with the new Georgia offense this spring. But he's hardly alone in that aspect as a number of teams across the country didn't get the chance to complete their spring practices due to COVID-19.
The other reason for the change in odds for Newman though likely has to do with Georgia's addition of transfer quarterback JT Daniels. The Bulldogs added the former USC quarterback, though it's unknown whether Daniels will be eligible for the upcoming season.
If that does end up happening, there's the chance that Newman's odds could move even more. But with Georgia's national title odds sticking at 8-to-1, the oddsmakers certainly don't see his addition as a negative for the Bulldogs, or that there is any confidence lost in what Newman might be able to do in Monken's offense.
DawgNation's Connor Riley discusses the latest around Newman and Daniels, while also going deep on Georgia having players back on campus and what possibly comes next as Georgia gears up for the 2020 season, which is set to begin on Sept. 7 against Virginia.
Discussing Georgia football quarterback competition
More Georgia football stories from around DawgNation
- WATCH: Sahvir Wheeler weighs in on racial climate, Georgia campus environment
- Georgia football podcast: UGA players back to work' in preparation for 2020 season
- NCAA expected to adopt 4-phase college football practice plan
- The 6 Georgia football players who benefit the most with the return of voluntary workouts
- Georgia football podcast: Urban Meyer touts UGA RB Zamir White for big season
- Dan Lanning, outside linebackers to determine the ceiling on Georgia's 2020 defense
- Georgia football leadership issue: 3 who will set tone on defense
The post What the latest Heisman Trophy and national title odds tell us about the Georgia quarterback competition appeared first on DawgNation.